Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. (NYSE: RGR) announced today that for the second quarter of 2021 the Company reported net sales of $200.1 million and diluted earnings of $2.50 per share, compared with net sales of $130.3 million and diluted earnings of $1.05 per share in the second quarter of 2020.
For the six months ended July 3, 2021, net sales were $384.4 million and diluted earnings were $4.66 per share. For the corresponding period in 2020, net sales were $253.9 million and diluted earnings were $1.91 per share.
The Company also announced today that its Board of Directors declared a dividend of $1.00 per share for the second quarter for stockholders of record as of August 16, 2021, payable on August 27, 2021. This dividend varies every quarter because the Company pays a percentage of earnings rather than a fixed amount per share. This dividend is approximately 40% of net income.
Chief Executive Officer Christopher J. Killoy commented on the financial results for the second quarter of 2021, “The continued strengthening of our workforce, our increased productivity, and strong demand allowed us to achieve outstanding financial results. The dedication and commitment of our over 1,900 hardworking employees resulted in our seventh consecutive quarterly increase in production, and the continued reduced level of Ruger inventory at the independent distributors and in our warehouses is indicative of strong consumer demand for our firearms.”
Mr. Killoy continued, “New product development remains among our highest priorities. On the heels of the successful MAX-9 pistol launch earlier this year, we introduced the Ruger LCP MAX, a 380 Auto pistol, in June. This is the latest offering from the Ruger LCP family, which has set the standard for personal protection pistols for over a decade. We are hard at work on additional exciting new products, including the return of Marlin lever action rifles, which we plan to begin shipping in the fourth quarter.”
Mr. Killoy made the following observations related to the Company’s second quarter 2021 performance:
- The estimated unit sell-through of the Company’s products from the independent distributors to retailers increased 13% in the first half of 2021 compared to the prior year period. For the same period, the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (“NICS”) background checks (as adjusted by the National Shooting Sports Foundation) decreased 5%. The increase in the sell-through of the Company’s products compared favorably to the decrease in adjusted NICS background checks and may be attributable to the following:
- Strong consumer demand for the Company’s products,
- Increases in production for each of the past seven quarters, and
- Introduction of new products that have been met with strong demand.
- Sales of new products, including the Wrangler, the Ruger-57, the LCP II in .22 LR, the PC Charger, the MAX-9 pistol, and the LCP MAX represented $77.9 million or 22% of firearm sales in the first half of 2021. New product sales include only major new products that were introduced in the past two years.
- During the second quarter of 2021, the Company’s finished goods inventory and distributor inventories of the Company’s products decreased 7,800 units and remain significantly below pre-COVID-19 pandemic levels.
- Cash provided by operations during the first half of 2021 was $76.2 million. At July 3, 2021, our cash and short-term investments totaled $173.6 million. Our current ratio is 3.7 to 1 and we have no debt.
- In the first half of 2021, capital expenditures totaled $11.5 million. We expect our 2021 capital expenditures to total approximately $20 million, most of which relate to new product introductions.
- In the first half of 2021, the Company returned $27.6 million to its shareholders through the payment of dividends.
- At July 3, 2021, stockholders’ equity was $319.1 million, which equates to a book value of $18.14 per share, of which $9.86 per share was cash and short-term investments.
Today, the Company filed its Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the second quarter of 2021. The financial statements included in this Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q are attached to this press release. – View Release
Tomorrow, August 5, 2021, Sturm, Ruger will host a webcast at 10:00 a.m. ET to discuss the second quarter operating results. Interested parties can access the webcast at Ruger.com/corporate or by dialing 855-871-7398, participant code 7094764.
The Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the second quarter of 2021 is available on the SEC website at SEC.gov and the Ruger website at Ruger.com/corporate. Investors are urged to read the complete Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the second quarter of 2021 to ensure that they have adequate information to make informed investment judgments.
About Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.
Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc. is one of the nation’s leading manufacturers of rugged, reliable firearms for the commercial sporting market. With products made in America, Ruger offers consumers almost 800 variations of more than 40 product lines. For more than 70 years, Ruger has been a model of corporate and community responsibility. Our motto, “Arms Makers for Responsible Citizens®,” echoes our commitment to these principles as we work hard to deliver quality and innovative firearms.
The Company may, from time to time, make forward-looking statements and projections concerning future expectations. Such statements are based on current expectations and are subject to certain qualifying risks and uncertainties, such as market demand, sales levels of firearms, anticipated castings sales and earnings, the need for external financing for operations or capital expenditures, the results of pending litigation against the Company, the impact of future firearms control and environmental legislation, and accounting estimates, any one or more of which could cause actual results to differ materially from those projected. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date made. The Company undertakes no obligation to publish revised forward-looking statements to reflect events or circumstances after the date such forward-looking statements are made or to reflect the occurrence of subsequent unanticipated events.